Call Us: 619-780-1274 |
Call Us: 619-780-1274 |
Home/Services/Temporary Residency change by Family Ties

Mexico Temporary Residence Change by Family Ties

(FM3/FM2 Temporary Resident, Permanent Resident, Family Visa in Mexico)

Foreigners residing in Mexico with a valid condition of stay such as:

  • Temporary Resident.
  • Temporary Resident Student.
  • Visitor.

Wishing to permanently stay in the country have the chance to initiate their change to Permanent Resident, as long as they can accredit to be under one of the assumptions of the Mexican Immigration Law.

It is important to take into consideration that you need to start you immigration history as a Temporary Resident, if your desire is to permanently stay in Mexico.

Visitors and Temporary Student Residents do not generate antiquity as for a Permanent Residence.

The requisites in order to be able to apply for this procedure are:

  • Be parent of a Mexican citizen or Permanent Resident of Mexico.
  • Son/daughter of a Permanent Resident of Mexico or son of the concubine of a Mexican citizen or Permanent Resident, as long as the child is under age and hasn’t been married.
  • Be a child or teenager whose custody is under a Mexican citizen or a Permanent Resident.
  • Be sibling of a Mexican citizen or a Permanent Resident of Mexico, as long as the foreigner is under age.
  • Be concubine of a Mexican citizen or a Permanent Resident that may accredit 2 years of regular stay in Mexico as a Temporary Resident by Family Ties.
  • Have Mexican children by birth.
  • Be parent, grandparent, son, or grandchild of a Mexican citizen by birth.


What do I need to apply for a Change to Temporary Resident via Family Ties?

Have family ties with a foreigner holding a temporary or permanent residence or Mexican person. In addition have one of the following documents:

  • Visitor with permission to engage remunerated activities.
  • Visitor without permission to engage remunerated activities.
  • Temporary student resident.
  • Temporary resident.

Where can I apply for a change of Temporary Resident via Family Ties?

To apply for a Temporary Residence procedure, you must visit the INM offices in person and submit your request (Instituto Nacional de Migracion).

Nevertheless, we strongly recommend to apply at the INM office corresponding to your address, by this time solving can be reduced.

HH Consultants makes it easy for you, please Schedule an appointment with our group of experts, who will help you with the application. 

How long does it take? 

In the best case scenario, with all the paper filled up correctly and with all requirements met, it can take between 5 to 7 business days. However, please be advised that in most cases with people that don’t have experience filling up this paperwork, can usually take 10 to 30 days.

HH Consultants strongly advises to consult an immigration specialist to avoid delaying your process.

If you would like for us to help you process your request, please schedule a consultation and our team will provide you with all the details.

For how long is it valid?

The time may be between 1, 2 or 3 years.

If you are interested in knowing more about the requirements to obtain your document for more than a year and by this save a lot of money, please schedule an appointment with one of our consultants in order to renew your documents for three full years.

Can I start my procedure abroad?

This procedure cannot be presented when you are abroad, it is necessary that you start this procedure when it is still valid and within Mexico.

Nevertheless, if you are required to travel inside or outside of Mexico during this process, HH can help you with some alternative solutions in order to avoid your application being rejected.

Can I get permission to work with my temporary resident document, obtained by change in status by family ties?

Unfortunately when you get your temporary residence by family ties, it does not have permission to work.

However, if you have in mind to work after obtaining your document, you have the possibility to apply at the INM, for a work permit, which will have the same expiration as you immigration card.

If so, we suggest you indicate this during your consultation, in order to inform you about the procedure.

How do I start my procedure?

By scheduling an appointment with one of our consultants, please keep in mind that H&H Consultants can always help you in person or online.

We strongly advise you to consult with an expert before you start any immigration procedure, there are many ways for you to save money and improve your migratory history.

How much does it costs?

We know that every foreigner’s migratory situation may vary and that in some cases the migratory procedure can be in different stages.

Which is why the cost may also be different according to each case’s characteristics.

As a consequence, we evaluate every case with an initial interview (40 dlls, that will be deducted from the total cost).

With the purpose of obtaining the most information possible, in order to determine if this type of procedure is the correct one. If it is not the best option, we will let you know what will be the process that we need to follow.

HH helps foreigners like you to regularize their migratory status, so that you can enjoy your stay in Mexico without worrying of your legal status in the country.

Mexico Immigration Law

Visitor without permission for remunerated activities (Article 52).
Visitor with permission to perform remunerated activities (Article 52).
Temporary resident (Article 52).
Temporary resident student (Article 52).

Permanent resident (Article 52).
Article 53.
Article 55.
Article 56.
Article 62.